It seems the weather in NEPA is finally breaking! Temperatures above 40 and into the 50s, who remembers what those feel like? The weather warming up means spring is on its way and you need to start thinking about getting your garden ready to plant.
Our friends at Espoma gave us some great spring cleanup tips to pass along to you. We threw in a few of our own too.
- Remove dead plants that didn’t make it and any debris that may have waited out the winter in your garden beds.
- Remove dead or diseased branches from trees and shrubs by cutting at a 45º angle with pruners.
- Armed with your pruners, cut flowering perennials to 4-5” and trim ornamental grasses to 2-3”. Just like haircuts make hair grow faster and healthier, pruning plants does the same.
- Now that the ground has thawed, scoop up a small handful of soil to test. You can bring it to your favorite Garden Center (hint hint) to be tested for deficiencies and overages.
- While walking around your yard, visualize how you want it to look this year. Then sketch it out and bring it to the Garden Center. Our experts can help you plan the whole thing and we will even deliver your plants to your home.
We know we don’t need to convince you to get out in the garden and get started. We just want to keep inspiring you so that you can keep inspiring us with the great ideas and smiling faces you bring into the Garden Center!
We’re ready to get started! Now we just need Mother Nature to cooperate 🙂
P.S. Don’t forget to visit our Facebook page and enter our contest! Correctly guess how many animals live at the Garden Center and you could win a $50 gift card.